Wednesday, October 22, 2008

When did tv shows become so partisan

When I watch television I don't think that the particular show I am watching will fulfill my partisan lining, but apparently according to the Nelson Ratings system, people of certain partying leanings watch similar television. I could understand this if it was all obvious leanings, such as Republicans watch the Bill Engvall Show and Democrats watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. These are actual television show party leanings, but there are other shows that I wouldn't think would have such leanings. Maybe that is because I watch them, and I don't understand why they would be popular amongst democrats and not republicans, and vice versa.


Looking at the Democrat leanings, I immediately look at I Love New York. What makes that show more akin to the party of the people as opposed to Rock of Love which is more akin to the Grand Ole Party. I am pretty sure I watch both and that most people I know watch both. They are both on VH1, many times would air following each other, but still have party leanings. I could stereotype here to figure out why they have their particular partisan alignment, but I will do that in my head, as you are probably doing right now. Eff it, essentially what they are saying is a show about a crazy black woman Democrats like and a show featuring an entire house full of rednecks would obviously be favorable to Republicans.

What makes this list even more interesting is aligning your television show watching with the particular partisan audience it matches up to. I like South Park, Doctor Who, The Colbert Report, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but none of the shows that are supposedly equal to both party television watchers. Does that make me a flip flopper because I don't specifically align myself with my fellow party television watchers? Should I start watching Damages because I am a Republican, because I can't stand that show? Or, should I start watching Ax men because I am a democrat because I don't particularly like any of those crazy job shows on the History Channel. I would really like someone to explain to me why a British show has a Republican leaning, that still doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it is because The Doctor wears those nice suits. Republicans like their suits.

No comments: